Saturday, January 4, 2014

The Best of 2013


     So many books I’ve read in 2013 have been amazing. I found myself being extremely intrigued, and hooked by them. Many of these books have important lessons that have really inspired, and motivated me to reflect on my life. Because I have read and enjoyed so many thought provoking books, it is a little too hard for me to choose just one favorite- instead I have decided to write about some of my favorites that portrayed the most important life lessons. These books would be The Maze Runner, The Fault in Out Stars, and Before I Fall.
     To start with, The Maze Runner was really engaging and also inspiring. It is about a group of boys living in a maze, where once a month, a new boy is sent to the maze. The day after the main character Thomas arrives, a girl arrives, and after this, many strange, horrible things start occurring and the boys and girl have to escape as fast as possible. The actual story plot is quite fast pace and a new obstacle is always being introduced, which kept me from putting the book down. Besides this, the most important message I gathered from the book is that friendship and teamwork can be a key element in overcoming obstacles. Even when you are put in a situation that seems impossible to get out of, with the help of friends and extreme determination, there is always a solution.
     Next, The Fault in Our Stars is about a girl, Hazel with terminal cancer. Hazel frequently attends a cancer support group where she one day meets Augustus Waters, a cancer survivor himself. Their relationship grows quickly through a shared understanding of living with cancer. The reason this book was amazing, and extremely meaningful to me was because by reading this book I have certainly gained a greater appreciation of my life. I was constantly exposed to the obstacles and struggles that Hazel and Augustus, and all cancer patience for that matter, have to deal with. They live in fear, because they never know when cancer will take over. I don’t have anything close to that to worry about. I read this book while the whole high school application process was going on, and it really helped me put things in perspective. Although it is important, the high school I wind up at is not the end of the world- my life will definitely not end if I don’t get into my top choice. The Fault in Our Stars is simply a must-read.
     Lastly, Before I Fall is about a girl, Sam, who is one of the popular "mean girls" in school. One night, her and her friends are driving home from a party. Sam is riding shotgun, and Lindsay, who’s driving the car, is extremely drunk. Elody and Ally are in the back and fighting over what music to listen too, when all of the sudden, the car swerves off the road, totally flips over, and Sam dies... But wakes up, to relive that day over and over and over until she has pretty much turned into a whole new person (after realizing all of her flaws, big and small,) with different values, and personality traits. I love this book because it really portrays that anyone can change from “mean” to “nice”, even within a small amount of time. It may take a while to notice all your flaws but once you’ve got them all figured out, drastic change is possible. And these changes should absolutely be made. Before I Fall has made me think about the actions I make everyday. I really, honestly want to be the best person I can personally be.   

1 comment:

  1. Can I get a thank you for recommending Maze Runner?

    ReplyDelete