“Blazing Trails in Brain Science” was a really
interesting article about a brain/ mental health scientist, Dr. Thomas R.
Insel, and all the obstacles he has had to face throughout his career. Some of
these many obstacles include animal right marchers who crowded the street
outside of his house because they absolutely are against the animal testing he
has had to do to learn more about the brain.
When I first approached this article I wasn’t
exactly sure of what I was supposed to get out of it (besides all the fancy
scientific information on mental illnesses). Is the point of the article that Dr.
Insel has faced so many challenges throughout his career, or that he has stuck
to his beliefs and ideas throughout everything and has stayed determined throughout
his whole career despite the obstacles. And then I thought- is the point of the
article just to show all the reasons of
why he has been faced with many people who disapprove of his ideas? I read the
article as closely as I could, and I really think that as readers we are
supposed to get interesting scientific views and ideas on brain science- but
also realize how sticking to your beliefs and values is so important if you
want to be able to achieve really important, great things! Who knew you could get
that out of a non-fiction article about mental health!
The author of this article, Benedict Carey,
formatted this article so that the intro was a story, and then from that point
on, a timeline of all the things Dr. Insel has gone through for his career. From
the way it was written, it seemed clear that the author was trying t make all
the sides of the many arguments in the article clear to readers. Besides this though,
I did feel like he was leaning a little bit towards the arguments and doings of
Dr. Insel, because Benedict Carey included so much information to back up all
the arguments of Dr. Insel. He quoted many other scientists that support(ed)
Dr. Insel.
Carey does a great job of convincing the reader that
although faced with so many obstacles and challenges throughout his career, Dr.
Insel has had so much perseverance, and determination to get to where he is
today. “Two previous directors resigned in the wake of inflammatory
statements (one on marijuana laws, one comparing urban neighborhoods to
jungles), and another stepped down after repeatedly objecting to White House
decisions.” This line from the article really made
it clear to me that the job Dr. Insel has is tough, because two previous
directors resigned.
I really had no personal opinion or view on the many
aspects of mental health and brain science before this article- in fact I had
never really thought about it. Now I would have to say that I think it is
important for so many people that mental illnesses be researched further
into/on, no matter who else disapproves.
No comments:
Post a Comment